Vows over Everything. | Not Easily Broken

Do you, Paul take  Sarah to be your lawfully wedded wife and live together forever in the estate of holy matrimony? Do you promise to  love, comfort, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, for better or for worse for as long as you both shall live?

I do.

I, Sarah take thee, Paul to be my wedded Husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish, and to obey, till death us do part, according to God’s holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth.

Maybe your Vows didn’t sound exactly like the ones above, or maybe they did, perhaps you wrote your own vows. Whatever the case may be, imagine you are about to enter marriage, a world full of both uncertainty and excitement, and you are racking your brain for what your vows could be to your wife. My biggest piece of advice would be this, don’t enter marriage unadvisedly. Essentially what Vows entail is commitment, not emotion, but allegiance and faithfulness. Marriage is about forgiving one another, fighting through hard times and exercising the principles of God’s word that you have learned in singleness. The easy way out is divorce. To be frank, God hates divorce. Divorce is a disease that has hit the body of Christ and spread like wildfire. Many of our favorite singers and preachers openly get divorced and marry another, as if God is pleased with that course. The frequency of divorce should tell us a lot. One note it should tell us is that marriage is not easy, I don’t care if you never had a bad day with your spouse , “keep living” as the grown folks say. I can speak from my own experience. I entered my marriage with a ton of momentum. Everything was going well about half way through the year was when our first test came. I got fired from my Job, a job that I was at for Five years and was succeeding at.  I virtually lost all my friends and never got a chance to defend myself. The savings we had were running low, my wife in turn lost her job, and we were moving to a very dark place. There I was, very happy to be married, and all of a sudden I became a 28-year-old without money, no car (we lost that too) and a reputation that had been run through the mud.  The next incident was between me and my wife, the frustration and all the factors had caused friction between us.  Arguments were becoming the norm and divorce was brought up, we found ourselves attacking one another verbally due to the stress of life.  Those lessons of life led me to provide this thought to anyone who is thinking about marriage. We serve A God that will test you and we are at odds with a Devil that does not want to see you and your  spouse together. We ended up being unemployed for a total of 4 months. The time of friction between us was about 1 month but it felt like a year.  I decided that it was time for us to go on the offensive and she felt the same way.

It was during the time of intense friction that I was reminded of my vows. Vows that made me cry, Vows that I never intend to break.  God pointed me back to them. I laughed and told God “I would never Divorce my wife”. Vows aren’t just to prevent divorce; it’s not just a commitment for two people just to stay together for the sake of staying together. Marriage isn’t intended for two just to merely exist, but to live fruitfully, blissfully and more abundantly. To be companions, to be one and to be a ministry unto others and unto God. God wanted us to get the most out of our marriage. And God led  me to do something that my wife is not aware that I do, but she will be after reading this! He told me to read my vows every day. I literally renew my vows to my wife daily!  Every morning I read my vows before I go to work. All those things I lost, God gave us back.  I was given a car, I started a new career,  I renewed friendships and created new friendships . We realized that God had to move some things so that we would focus on one another. The vows that you will make to your spouse cant waiver because of life, your vows can’t waiver because you are tired of him or her. This is the biggest commitment that any man or woman will enter, I don’t care what anyone thinks or what the media says, when done right you will get a refreshing perspective of God that you never had before. And you will receive and operate on a  level of favor that was impossible to obtain when single (read Proverbs 18:22). I would advise all men and women to renew their vows daily, not every 20 years. We spend so much time and money on the dress, the flowers, the reception and the honeymoon and almost forgot the most important part is the vows. It’s fascinating that the most valuable part of your wedding is a part that is free, your vows.  There is no price attached to them just a commitment to God and your spouse. Let me drive this point home. Your commitment to your spouse supersedes every feeling, emotion, trial, tragedy, hardship, Injury, freak accident, death, boredom, sweetheart on the side and what ever else life throws at you. Please renew your vows Daily.

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God, and in the face of this company of witnesses to join together this man and this woman in Holy Matrimony; which is an honorable estate, instituted of God, signifying unto us the mystical union that is between Christ and His Church; which Holy Estate Christ adorned with His presence and first miracle that He wrought in Cana of Galilee, and is commended of St. Paul to be honorable among all men; and therefore, not entered into unadvisedly or lightly, but reverently, discreetly, soberly and in the fear of God. Into this Holy Estate these two persons present come now to be joined

Category:
Marriage
Tags:

Join the conversation! 23 Comments

1. 🔥🔥👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

2. So true!

3. I really enjoy your blog, it is very insightful, and honest . Sometimes in marriage you do have issues and challenges, however it takes a strong person and a man of God to stay true to his vow’s and work though their issues together as a unit. These are learning experiences that will make your marriage stronger and better. Continue to refresh as long as you do, you will be fine.

4. Wow!!! Thanks for sharing this it just let me know that me and my wife wasn’t the only ones who went through the tough times in the beginning of our marriage such as the losing the jobs,car,and friends right in the beginning of our marriage too. And yes I guilty of the giving but I didn’t as you can see lol. Thanks again for sharing this Bro.. Much love to you and your wife God bless you guy…

5. When I read this it completely brought me to tears. I couldn’t stop crying! This truly touched me in a deep place and of course you know why. The journey of marriage is not an easy one, but when you put God first and make the conscious decision to remain committed to your spouse He will surely bless you, favour you, and anoint you both to go through whatever tests and trials He has in store for you two. I completely love the action of renewing your vows daily. We have to, to make it work! Love love loved this!! So proud of you!!

6. Good read. You put your heart out there on this one. Keep em coming, and I’ll keep reading them. Good stuff travis.

7. Wont God do it? Yes he well. I was blessed by you overcoming through God help. Keep holding on to God unchanging hand

8. Beautiful, simply beautiful

9. This reminds me of my mom and dad! They overcame every obstacle! Marriage is hard work but with god in it he will surly guide you! Amazingggg! I will definitely keep this in mind when that time for me comes! Blessings to you both!

10. POWERFUL!!!!

11. Awesome! Thank you so much for being so transparent. People need to see and hear that once you say “I do”, the real “work” starts. God bless

12. Travis, I am so Godly proud of your response to your obstacles. It’s always so delightful, refreshing, and encouraging to read about young couples fighting for their marriage. The best things in life are worth fighting for in faith. As Christian married couples, we don’t fight physically nor in our own strength, but we fight spiritually depending on the help of the Lord! You are taking the right steps towards eternal victory in your marriage! I’m confident that this God inspired blog is helping so many married couples and at the same time therapeutic for you. Marriage is not just a good idea, it’s God’s idea. Continue to stand as a honorable priest of your home, continue to pray and renew your vows, and watch God use your marriage to make a huge difference in your generation. Kudos for using your blog as a positive tool to bless God’s first institution – marriage and families!

13. Nothing beats a failure then a try. I love the author’s message. But when physical abuse is involve, like in so many relationships including marriage, is that the same course? I feel if you don’t seek counseling and daily push to change mentally, the long nightmare. road of an unhealthy physical marriage grows. If you truly love this person you married, let’s pray on strength of the mind and spirit to turn that fist into a kiss or a hug that heels and enlighten the bond between humans.

14. This is wisdom. Marriage is for better for worst for keeps. When we honor our vows God honors us. It is better not tobmake a vow than to make a vow and not pay it or keep it. Amen Amen Amen!!! Encouraging.

15. Really beautful, God bless you guys🤗🙏

16. Wow!!! This is deep and i love the way you’re transparent. Many tend to run away from their problems or give up easily (divorce) when trials come but when you keep God in the center he’ll help you get through those test and trials. I also love the idea of renewing your vows daily. This really was a blessing to read. I love y’all and pray God continues to bless y’all marriage .

17. I love it !!! Most aren’t transparent and they go around like everything is all rainbows and unicorns , like they never been through anything, but I really appreciate you for being simply real … The part that stuck out to me the most is when God told you to read your vows daily. Most times it’s important . It reminds you of why you said I do in the first place . Lol what do I know haha .. I can’t give too much advice but I will pray that you guys continue to keep doing what y’all are doing to stick this thing out until death … I love both of you guys and thank you Travis

18. Your willingness to share is powerful. Don’t stop! Every marriage goes through this one time or another. I remember when Dave and I were going through non-stop storms, I remember having joy deep down on the inside. After what seemed like Round 25 of constantly going back and forth, I was sitting there thinking how many wives have been in my shoes, worried and stress about it all and for the life of me my mind lead me to Hosea and Gomer (thanks, marriage ministry!). Talk about a real ride or die love right there. And I kept thinking like if that happened to ME would I stay and I said aloud, NO WAY! And right there it showed me that what I was going through wasn’t that bad and I felt kinda dumb too and started laughing. From that point on I would remind myself of the love Hosea showed to Gomer, how it revealed how God loved the children of Israel at that time, as well as us and how I should have that same love if not more for my spouse.

19. Very good read Travis! Just getting married myself this was insightful. Thank you!